about the blog

In the next three years I’d like to take an IELTS exam and learn two other languages: Norwegian (which is new to me) and French (this one I’ve tried to learn before). In the meantime I’ll need to study for my classes at University.
Why I am challenging myself with all these? Because I like challenges and I hate limits. This, and the fact that I want to emigrate.
So this blog will be, basically, about my struggle with learning languages and University. If you are interested,feel free to stay and comment. If you find any mistakes, or have any questions - just let me know.
home personal layout
"The limits of my language are the limits of my world."
‒Ludwig Wittgenstein

Friday 18 October 2013

[BA Project]#1
Hello there,
though I am not here to give you a review (I am the worst, I know) I'd like to introduce a new series of posts here. As I am trying to write my BA thesis, I'll need a lots of motivation - my topic is rather broad and requires a lot of reading and marking progress. Otherwise I'll be doomed, so here comes the idea: ideally twice a week I'll give you an update how my work progress (but one post per week is absolutely minimum) and maybe post some snippets or recommendations along the way, as one day it could be helpful for someone.

First update comes along with introductory post - I've got title and vague area of research, so that's the start.
Title (this is not a final version, it'll probably change a bit) is: "The development of werewolf's concept: from myths into modern fantasy literature".

For base of my thesis I chose three great mythologies: Celtic, Norse and Slavic - and on those I'll focus in nearest future. Later on, when books ordered from various bookstores will arrive, I'll switch into modern fiction - but this is even more vague than myths part, as I am unsure which authors and/or stories I should include, as werewolves never were (but well, this perhaps will change) my favourite creatures of the night.
So far I decided that I'll definitely use anthology edited by John Skipp ( Werewolves and Shapeshifters: Encounters With the Beast Within) and perhaps some parts of Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, but modern literature is a subject to change.

In between myths and modern stories I'll include two, meaningful works: Wagner The Werewolf (which, fortunately for my wallet) could be obtained for free from Project Guttenberg page and edited by David Stuart Davies and chosen by Mark Valentine collection of short stories - The Werewolf Pack. In this case I wasn't so lucky and I needed to purchase it. Library of university I attend to is, so far, quite useless. Only one thing worth to check there is an access to JStore database, yet to use it, I need to a) go to the library b) pay a nice annual fee (which, in comparison to main library in my city and the fact that some of my friends have access to university's library for free is absurdly high). To do both though I need time which I really should find soon, because as far as I know access to JStore database will be closed by end of November.


Ok, enough rambling for now. See you soon. Hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. You'll be fine, werewolves are such interesting creatures and well, there is A LOT OF very good stuff about them. And myths, I just love myths. So I will be really happy if I will be able to read you thesis. Pretty please? *___*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know I will! I am just "a bit" scared now. It'll pass.

      Guess there is no problem and I could send you my thesis when it's done... and you could beta-read it:P

      Delete